Saturday, November 15, 2003

Someone Like You

"How are your feeling, Ada?" Ruth, her friend and neighbor for the past ten years asked.  Ada seemed surprised to be addressed. "I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?" Sylvia, usually the diplomatic one of the group leaned across the table. "We just thought that maybe you were too tired to come tonight. After all, you leave here so early every morning and return after dark." "Well she's here now, so let's just start playing." As the host, Betty felt responsible for keeping to a schedule. After a few hands, it was obvious Ada did not have her mind on the cards. "I'm going home. I don't belong here." Betty sprung up as fast as her new hip would allow. "What do you mean? Aren't we always here for you?"  Sylvia continued her diplomacy " She'll adjust, just like I had to." Ada's face turned red "My situation is nothing like yours, Sylvia. Your husband has gone to a better place. You can treasure your memories and find new interests. Harry is not with me but he still needs me all the time." "Why don't you try writing about what you're going through?"  The thought had just popped into Ruth's head. Ada looked like she had just been slapped. "What are you talking about? I don't have time for nonsense. Who wants to hear about sitting in a room full of people staring at the wall. Should I send a story to the bill collectors?"  But Ruth could see her friend standing at the podium, giving lectures on nursing home reform, as she used to lead the community meetings. "I've seen on the Internet where people keep a journal, a kind of diary.  Other people who are dealing with the same issues can read it and offer their support. Even some prominent experts share their perspectives." Ada was still on the defensive "I don't even have a computer or money to go on the Internet." Sylvia was glad the conversation had taken on a positive direction "You can start with pencil and paper. Imagine how many others could benefit from the experience of someone like you." 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful format for a weblog...telling a story, articulating your feelings, getting in touch with yourself. Especially important for caretakers of elders with alzheimers or chronic conditions, who need an outlet. Bravo!