Tuesday, March 2, 2004

Private Enemies

There's a knock at the door. "who's there?"

"It's Charlotte, Mrs. Jacobs, from Meals on Wheels."

"Don't try to leave that stuff here. I know your trying to poison me."

"Mrs. Jacobs, it's good food. All your neighbors like it. You've refused your delivery three times now. I won't be coming back again if you don't open the door."

"Go away, I know what's in that stuff. You can't get rid of me that easily."

The telephone rings."Hello?"

"It's the front gate, Mrs. Jacobs. A social worker from Memorial is here to see you."

"I don't know any social workers. Tell them you didn't get any answer. They could be terrorists. Why don't you people do your job? Don't you know when someone is trying to break in or are you one of them?"

The door again. "Go away!"

"UPS, mamm. Package."

"Take it away, quick, it could be a bomb."

"I don't think it's a bomb, mamm. It feels like clothing. It's a shirt box from Chicago."

"Get rid of it. How did you get by Security? You terrorists know all the tricks."

The phone. "Hello?"

"Hi Mom, how are you? Did you get my birthday present?"

"I'm doing great. I just finished breakfast with that nice lady from Meals on Wheels. The gift is lovely. It must have cost a fortune to send it all the way from Chicago."

Banging at the door. "We're going to have to break the lock. She must have changed the key again. This is the third time she's pressed the panic button this week. I'm afraid we're going to have to take her in. It's a shame no one is looking out for her."

Author; Caryn Isaacs

No comments: